All Mondays Should Involve a Two-Hour Delay {MIMM}

It finally snowed here! Well, ok, it snowed for a couple of hours (we picked up a whopping .5″, which is better than nothing) before transitioning to freezing rain.

I’d normally complain about freezing rain, because I feel like it’s the worst possible combination of weather patterns (if it’s going to be frickin’ freezing and there’s going to be precipitation, I want snow) but today it has brought us the next best thing to a snow day: a two-hour delay. I woke up at my normal time to see this beaut on the website of the office that makes the call on weather-related closures/delays:

Snow & Dismissal Procedures Current Status

Washington, DC, Area

Applies to: December 9, 2013

Status: Open – 2 hours Delayed Arrival – With Option for Unscheduled Leave or Unscheduled Telework

Huzzah! Mondays should always start with a delay, in my opinion. I’m adding it to the list of policies I’ll implement once I’m a benevolent overlord. It’ll be part of the “ease back into the workweek” plan I’d mentioned last week. All in favor, say “Aye”!

I particularly needed this delay after a busy weekend — a weekend that involved my plan to Christmas-ify the apartment. Operation: Holiday Spirit was a success, y’all.

I really wanted to get a tree, but our space for it is pretty darn small. I thought we’d have to go hunting far and wide for a small-ish tree that would fit in our apartment, but lo and behold, as we were en route to lunch on Saturday we drove right past a place that had a veritable cornucopia of small trees. Win! We picked one up yesterday, took him home, and dressed him up. I’ve named him Melvin.

The folks at the tree stand also let me take some cast-off greens that had been cut away from other trees, so I also got my decorating on around the living room.

DSC01199 DSC01202

And, for one of my favorite pictures, I’d like to introduce you to Wine Bottle Burqa. She was a wedding gift from a friend who’d been deployed to Afghanistan before our wedding, and she is exactly what her name implies: the exact same type of burqa approved by the Taliban, but designed to fit nicely over the necks of wine bottles. I’ve thought about doing a series of Wine Bottle Burqa still life shots throughout the year, which would depict her doing things like enjoying the springtime amidst the flowers. This is the first installment in that series: Wine Bottle Burqa gets in the holiday spirit.

On a separate note, I slept like crap last night and am trying to gear myself up for a trip to the gym. I know I need to get ‘er done this morning, because shoddy sleep means I’ll be too wiped out this afternoon to drag myself to the gym. Oy. I clearly needed this weather delay.

And, as always, thanks to Katie for hosting MIMM — here’s to getting through Monday!

14 thoughts on “All Mondays Should Involve a Two-Hour Delay {MIMM}

1. musingsoftheamusingmuse December 9, 2013 / 7:53 am

Melvin is handsome and the wine bottle burqa idea is great, oh Benevolent Overlord!

2. Alex @ therunwithin December 9, 2013 / 8:40 am

well I felt like a dud. ran at 5 am, the roads were dead but I was like whatever. get on the bus to head to work at 720 to find out that work had been delayed two hours. so now I am sitting at the office alone. oh mondays!

3. Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama December 9, 2013 / 9:23 am

If cutting back on the work week is part of your devious (awesome) plot to take over the world, you’ve got my vote for Benevolent Overlord! And Melvin is so handsome. Love that you named your tree!

4. jessielovestorun December 9, 2013 / 9:43 am

Melvin is quite the stud! Oh & I too slept like crap. Perhaps we could’ve chatted throughout the night about how bad it sucks – and about cookies. Why cookies.. well I like cookies & it’s the holiday season =)

5. cait @pieceofcait December 9, 2013 / 11:29 am

I used to love a delay/ day off from school because of the snow in highschool! extra sleep? PLEASE! I didn’t sleep well last night either :( when I don’t sleep = crankyyyy

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 13, 2013 / 7:13 am

Thanks for stopping by, Cait! I completely feel your pain on not sleeping = serious crankyness. I become a serious grouch when I don’t get a solid 7-8 hours, so there are days when I just close the door to my office and try not to interact with a lot of people. :)

6. Lindsay December 9, 2013 / 2:35 pm

AYE on the two hour delay every Monday!! I love that you named your tree, and that its name is Melvin. I name everything! I feel like we’d be best friends IRL. Happy Monday!! <3

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 13, 2013 / 7:12 am

I name everything too – people think I’m nuts, but oh well. (*Shrugs and carries on naming things*) :)

7. chasingchels December 9, 2013 / 3:07 pm

Aye! I love the Christmas decorations AND that you named your tree! We got ours this weekend, too, and I named ours as well (ok I really named the penguin on top but I address the whole tree when I talk to him so it totally works)…Pippin :) Stay warm and dry today!

8. Davida @The Healthy Maven December 9, 2013 / 5:22 pm

Wine bottle burqa…I can’t even.

Melvin is a beaut! Jealous of him. I’ve always wanted a tree!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 13, 2013 / 7:11 am

LOL – I just about died laughing when we got the wine bottle burqa. It’s one of my favorite possessions!

9. ari @ whatarisaid December 9, 2013 / 8:15 pm

I’m so jealous of delay, lucky! And your tree is adorable, as are all your decorations!