A Slow Start

I’m back again! Things have calmed down a bit after a busy few weeks, and I’m happy as a clam to have time to write again. I missed you guys!

I do, however, think that the whole “busy as a bee on amphetamines” motif is catching up with me in the form of very, veeeerrrry slllllooooooooowww starts to, um, pretty much everything I do. Ever have one of those days/weeks/months/decades when everything you do — getting up, doing work, running, etc. — feels like the engine on a rusty old car in the cold weather, struggling to turn over and get going? That’s me these days.

We had a wonderful holiday weekend, but upon waking up on Monday morning, my first thought was “Noooooooooooooo. NO WORK. I don’t wanna go. Noooooooooo.” I’m very good at fighting reality by whining about it — it’s one of my hidden talents. Reality always wins, though, in spite of my prodigious whining/goaning/kvetching. (Damn you, reality! Why must you be stronger than my complaints?!) I grouchily dragged myself out of bed and groggily got ready for the day, but I think my eyes were still half-closed when I left the apartment, and I’m pretty sure I looked like an extra on The Walking Dead as I made my way to the bus stop. I might’ve even made the weird labored breathing/gurgling noises the walkers make, but I can’t be sure. (I wasn’t awake enough.)

Once I got to work, my motivation — much like Elvis — had left the building. People, I was feeling unspeakably lazy. Left to my own devices, I probably would’ve sat there and drooled on myself while staring blankly at my computer screen. But alas, that wasn’t in the cards. Real work beckoned, and, being that one has to actually do work to get paid (again I say: damn you, reality!), I bucked up and slogged through my profound lack of motivation. (Someday when I’m a benevolent overlord, I’ll make the Monday after Thanksgiving a mandatory “ease back into work” day. This will involve being in the office, but only doing fun things like chatting with colleagues over eggnog or watching movies.)
The big highlight of my day, though, was my afternoon run. My late afternoon runs along the National Mall have become one of my favorite things, and they’re usually the best part of my day. (Well, that and lunch. Meals and running make me happy.) Much like the rest of my day, I started out slow. At first I was tired and achy — but once I got in the groove, I felt awesome. I was listening to a fantastic podcast, I was going strong, and I felt so great that I decided to tack an extra mile on the end. By the time I was finished, I was one happy camper!
The awesome feeling lasted the rest of the evening, but this morning saw me doing the same “Nooooooooooo, I don’t wanna get uuuuuuuuuuuup, I don’t wanna go to wooooorrrrrrrrrk, noooooooooooo” motif. I think there’s just something about winter that makes me want to channel my inner grizzly bear and hibernate — because each and every winter I wind up feeling like I could easily keep sleeping well after the appointed 7-8 hours of shut-eye have passed. The fact that it’s dark so much just makes my body want to zonk out for an extra four hours each night. (That’s the other thing I’ll do someday when I’m a benevolent overlord: amend winter business hours to accommodate the need for extra sleep. Y’all, I need to figure out how to become a benevolent overlord.)
On a separate note, how was everyone’s Thanksgiving? Hopefully it involved quality time with family and friends — and, of course, good food. On our end, the good folks at Williams-Sonoma came through for us in a big way. Did you know they sell both gluten-free stuffing and a GF pumpkin bread mix?! Holy moly, y’all, I was in heaven. In years past, I’d dried out many a loaf of GF bread in order to dry out and make stuffing — but this year, Williams-Sonoma did it for me. I just added sauteed mushrooms, celery, and chicken stock, et voila! It was delicious, and absurdly easy. It also goes without saying that the GF pumpkin bread was freaking amazing. It didn’t even seem like it was GF, which was a huge accomplishment. Williams-Sonoma FTW! Seriously, whoever created their line of GF goods deserves a Medal of Honor.
Anyways, I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday and a great weekend. I’ll be back to blogging more regularly now that things are calming down a tad, so I’ll be seeing more of you wonderful, lovely people soon. Here’s hoping your week is off to a good start!

21 thoughts on “A Slow Start

1. Alex @ therunwithin December 3, 2013 / 12:20 pm

unmotivated. Beyond belief. this is really a tough time of year because you have to be on point for work yet have no desire to do that. so freaking tough. haha

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:55 am

Right? It’s the paradox of the holidays — you feel totally worn down, but you have to be extra, super on the ball. Blergh. More coffee?

2. Susie December 3, 2013 / 2:42 pm

Please become a benevolent overloard. I like your style.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:54 am

Only if you’ll be my campaign manager. And, if it ever happens, Djibouti Gangrene can be our mascot!

3. Her Happy Balance December 3, 2013 / 3:08 pm

Please make “Ease into Monday” a thing soon, I was sooo not into going to work yesterday. Oh well, another week closer to the holidays!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:53 am

For real – it needs to become a real policy really, really soon. And yes, hooray for being another week closer to the holidays! :)

4. chasingchels December 3, 2013 / 3:12 pm

Yay :) seeing you back put a huge smile on my face :) I’m glad that you had such a nice holiday and please let me know when you become a benevolent overlord…I’d come work for you in a heartbeat with those parameters ;)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:52 am

LOL! I’ve had many people tell me that the policies I mentioned here made them be totally on board for my benevolent overlordship — so now I just have to figure out how to make that happen. Does one campaign for that position? Do I need to make “Lillian for Benevolent Overlord” t-shirts and signs? Hmmm, thoughts to ponder… :)

• chasingchels December 5, 2013 / 3:33 pm

You should make tech ts and tanks…I’d wear them in my races ;)

5. Davida @The Healthy Maven December 3, 2013 / 3:30 pm

You basically just described every day of my life. Noooooooo I do NOT want to go to work. Well I keep going and instead of actually working am distracted by your blog :) If only I could read blogs all day!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:51 am

Right?! I’d looooooove to read blogs all day too. There are so many awesome ones (I’m looking at you, Davida!), and so little time!

6. readaholic31 December 3, 2013 / 4:13 pm

That is pretty much every day during winter for me and I’m pretty sure I scare small children on the way so I could probably get a part on the Walking Dead too! My body is prepared to rouse itself for a good run but then it just wants to go back into hibernation!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:50 am

LOL – I’m pretty sure I scare all the children away too! Maybe we can both get cast as extras on Walking Dead so we can put these winter-time skills to use. :)

7. Dana @ The Daily Moderation December 3, 2013 / 4:17 pm

Glad you’re back! I feel the same way lately! I don’t know, but December is the ONLY month I’d love to see snow and it’s ALWAYS much milder than October or November! What the?! I wish it was still frigid for the sheer fact of using the ‘I’m not going anywhere excuse”. :)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:48 am

Bhahahaha — right?! I want it to be cold and snowy from Thanksgiving to New Year’s, but after that I’m ready for spring. Of course, New Year’s is just when it starts getting really cold and miserable, so my climate preferences are a total fail. The “It’s frigid outside and I’m not going anywhere” excuse is fabulous, too — especially when it involves a cup of tea and a book. :)

8. ari @ whatarisaid December 3, 2013 / 5:57 pm

That boo face… Has been me for the last 2 days. I keep having a hard time going to sleep at bedtime, then the alarm rings too early and I’m a zombie all day. It sucks. That said, it’s a million degrees outside so it doesn’t feel like winter. Sad. What podcast do you listen do when you run?

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:46 am

I hear you on the zombie motif! I swear, trying to get back on schedule after a vacation is like a special form of torture.

As for the podcasts, I listen to a handful of them: Creative Wellness (by Melanie St. Ours), TED talks, NPR shows (mainly Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me because it’s ridiculously funny), and The Good Life Project. I find that it’s a lot more enjoyable than listening to my running playlist!

9. livliveslife December 3, 2013 / 9:17 pm

Glad to hear you had a good weekend! :-) I totally know what you mean about Monday morning…I had such a hard time. But I think this morning was even worse. My body got on vacation schedule and is not too happy with me right now. ;-)

I hope you have a great week!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:43 am

Right? Re-adjusting to real life from the vacation schedule is awful. I feel your pain on that one! :)

10. jessielovestorun December 3, 2013 / 9:58 pm

Girl – November was the worst month for me when it came to feeling less energized. I swear if I didn’t have things to get done throughout the day I may of been able to sleep 24 hours straight – no joke. It wasn’t even like I was sleeping bad during the night either. Oh well, let’s just hope this month isn’t the same bc how will I have the energy to bake lots of cookies. This lady right here needs ridiculous batches of pb blossoms and snickerdoodles to eat :)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte December 4, 2013 / 8:42 am

YES. Cookies are a perfect way to motivate yourself out of a sleepy daze! That’s a brilliant plan, my friend. :)

I’m also glad that I’m not the only one who gets wiped out during the colder, darker months — I was starting to worry that maybe I was alone in that boat.