WIAW: The Great Crock Pot Experiment Continues

Good morning, y’all! Being that it’s Wednesday, I’m super-excitedly rounding the last corner of the workweek into the home stretch before the weekend…as usual, it can’t get here fast enough!

Before getting into my WIAW offerings, I want to give a quick update on Operation: Time Management and the Great Crock Pot Experiment. Yesterday was a bit (ok, a lot ) of a fail. I had a ton of trouble trying to publish yesterday’s post, since WordPress kept deleting the content. (Thank God I’d written it all in Word before pasting it into WordPress! If I’d lost all that content for good, I would’ve been weeping my eyes out, rending my clothes, and sitting under my desk in fetal position.)

Anyways, it took me a full hour to finally get the post to publish properly — and by that point, there was no time for me to do even a quick workout. I was late to work again, and while dinner (chicken with 40 cloves of garlic) was a-cookin’, I knew I’d need to stay late and then come home and work out. C’est la vie!

Once I got home, I tested out my new fitness ball (!!); I got said fitness ball because TNROLFW calls for a number of exercises (i.e., the prone jackknife and the stability ball crunch) that rely on it. With that in mind, I decided to invest the $15 in this beauty:

Brandon was, um, a bit wigged out by the fact that it’s pink. We share the study, and I’m the proud owner of a pink desk chair — so when this baby rolled up (pun intended), he looked worried.

B: Wow, dude. It’s really pink.

Me: *Giggles, claps hands in excitement* I shall make my half of the study saturated in pink! Muuuahahahahaha!

Once I was done informing Brandon of my diabolical plot to pink-ify my portion of the study, I did the Fitness Blender Cardio Bootcamp and Cardio-Infused Standing Abs Workout while the veggies for dinner roasted away in the oven — and hooooooly crap, was it ever a hard workout! It was only 30 minutes, but I was sweating like a wildebeest and breathing harder than I’ve ever breathed during a 45 minute elliptical session.

A super-sweaty post-workout selfie, replete with the pink stability ball!
A super-sweaty post-workout selfie, replete with the pink stability ball!

Then we had dinner, and I’m sorry to say that the chicken with 40 cloves of garlic was no bueno. The garlicky taste was great, obviously — but I added white wine to the mix so it would have some cooking liquid, and I think that made it taste weird. I also cooked it for waaaaaay too long, because it was incredibly dry. Fail!

This morning, though, I’ve turned the page on yesterday’s blunders and am ready to start anew with this recipe for Beef Crock Pot Carnitas from Eat, Live, Run. The meat is marinating as I type this, and soon I’ll throw all the veggies into the Crock Pot. We’ll see how things turn out this evening!

Anyways, with all that being said, it’s time for What I Ate Wednesday — thanks, as always, to the lovely Jenn from Peas & Crayons for hosting!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfasts: There’s my ever-present coffee and GF toast before my workout — and while during the week I’m incredibly consistent with my post-workout fruit and kale smoothie, I tend to mix it up on the weekends. I’ve shown y’all a bajillion smoothie pictures, so I’ll focus on the weekend breaky foods: GF blueberry waffles served with a side of scrambled egg whites, spinach, and reduced-fat cheddar cheese.

Van's GF Blueberry WafflesScrambled Egg Whites with Spinach and Cheddar

Lunches and snacks have included Greek yogurt with GF granola, Pamela’s bars, apples with almond butter, cantaloupe, salad with chickpeas plus a creamy dill dressing that I whipped up over the weekend, and one of my favorite concoctions: Thai cole slaw (made with cabbage, carrots, romaine lettuce, cilantro, and GF peanut sauce).

DSC00837-001DSC00864

Dinners have been all about the Great Crockpot Experiment, and thus far they’ve included enchilada casserole and the aforementioned uber-fail (le sigh!) of chicken with 40 cloves of garlic with roasted veggies. The chicken may have been no bueno, but the roasted carrots were delish!

DSC00869 DSC00879

Oh, and then there’s my Friday night dinner: I broke every rule in the healthy living book — I’m a big proponent of the theory that all healthy food and no crap makes Jack a dull boy (or, in this case, Lillian a dull gal) — and had wine (in my super-sophisticated regular glass, because I didn’t feel like having to hand-wash a wine glass…Friday nights are my nights of laziness and sloth) and home-made pizza on GF pita bread. Laziness and sloth FTW!

image(12)

Desserts have had a bit of a change-up, too: we ran out of fro yo (gasp, horror!), but I want to use up all the food in the fridge/freezer before we get more. With that in mind, my desserts have consisted of mango sorbet and cherries — both are absolutely delicious, and it turns out that I don’t miss my beloved fro yo at all. :)

Bowl of cherries
Life is just a bowl of cherries, y’all.

Gluten-Free Mango Sorbet

And now, of course, I’d love to hear from you lovely folks!

Do you indulge a bit more on Friday nights and/or weekends?

What are your go-to indulgence foods?

Have you ever been disappointed by a recipe that you were all kinds of excited about?

Do you mix up your breakfast routine on the weekends?

25 thoughts on “WIAW: The Great Crock Pot Experiment Continues

1. jessielovestorun May 15, 2013 / 6:58 am

Please Please Please come over here & make me some of that Thai cole slaw!!! Sorry about the fail yesterday, but hey theres always next time right :)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:36 am

LOL – exactly! The Thai cole slaw is really easy to make: just grab chopped cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and romaine lettuce, and drizzle peanut sauce on top. It’s delicious!

2. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 15, 2013 / 7:56 am

On weekends I tend to either cook something more involved for breakfast or go out for delicious brunch’s of poached eggs, smoked salmon and avocado, something I would never have all the ingredients at home for or would never be able to make it as good even if I did!

I want to get a crock pot as it seems like such a time saver (even with a recipe fail here and there).

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:35 am

Oh, brunches are the best thing ever. Exactly as you said, they usually involve foods that I can’t cook at home (or, for me, just don’t want to put the effort into cooking at home — I’m a lazy mofo!). :)

3. chasingchels May 15, 2013 / 8:03 am

Boo on wordpress ruining dinner (clearly that’s the proper place for blame in this case ;) )! I’m glad that you have a jenna meal to enjoy tonight, though…i’m sure this one will taste amazing :) I actually don’t consider what I eat on Fridays or the weekends an indulgence anymore, since i’m trying really hard to eat normally these days. If i want pizza on tuesday, that’s what I’ll have, even if that means that i have it twice in one week, since friday pizza is a must obviously :P the one thing i would consider an indulgence would be alcohol…i don’t typically drink during the week (unless it’s been rough or there’s a special occasion…then a glass of wine will do), but on the weekends, i enjoy a glass of wine or a marg or something with dinner during at least one dinner…nice way to relax and enhance whatever joe has made for dinner :)

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:33 am

I totally agree with blaming WordPress for ruining dinner/my schedule. Win! ;)

The carnitas were delicious, and I’m soooooo glad I found Jenna’s recipe. We needed a Crock Pot success!

Hope you’re having a fabulous week, love!

4. Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 15, 2013 / 8:25 am

Hahaha i drink wine out of regular glasses all the time nowadays because I’m too lazy to wash a wine glass too. I absolutely indulge more on the weekends. my boyfriend and i eat just about every meal out on the weekends so its nearly impossible to keep things completely healthy all the time. I figure eating healthy the rest of the week balances it out though. (if only i ate healthy the rest of the week…)

ALSO- i know you had problems publishing your post yesterday, and I had problems today! (thats why it came out at 8 and not 5:30/6 as per usual) what is up with la wordpressa lately??

5. Robin May 15, 2013 / 8:38 am

wow, great tip on writing in word first…yikes! I have been wondering if WordPress ever does that to people…have not experienced it yet. Your meal sounds great–even the garlic chicken. You know what I do w/my wine though…I have the stemless tumblers. Still look great but you don’t have to wash them. keep doing what you are doing, and get that workout in today! I’m having the same issues with time management, all week but now that my post on it is done I can move forward for a bit….

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:31 am

Stemless tumblers are an awesome idea! I’ll have to invest in a couple of those babies, because not having to hand wash a glass is always a win in my book. (I prefer to call it efficiency instead of laziness…my parents might disagree, but whatevs.) ;) Thanks so much for suggesting it! :)

6. cjoye7 May 15, 2013 / 8:51 am

Just Mango slices are pretty much my CONSTANT go to indulgence. They are like crack – I am powerless to resist them! And when Trader Joe’s runs out (as they do on occasion), my world practically comes to an end. ;) It makes me want to hoard them for a rainy day, but then I just eat them! lol

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:30 am

LOL — I’m well acquainted with your mango addiction, and I totally agree! Aaaah, TJ’s: purveyor of all that is good in the world. ;)

7. megbek May 15, 2013 / 9:30 am

I don’t know about anyone else out there, but WordPress makes me so mad for similar issues you were having. I heard about Windows Live Writer and have never looked back, you should check it out. Makes posting a breeze and takes stress out of posting (again, worpress made me livid…). Anyway, thought I’d share! :) Cutie pink ball! I totally approve of pink-a-fying your share of the room, as it’s one of the best colors out there! Sorry your chicken was a fail, that’s such a bummer. Maybe you can re purpose it some other way… Lol. I, of course, indulge on the weekends, isn’t that what they’re for? No? Ok. I indulge with sweets and typically 1-2 meals out – usually something Mexican or Italian so that my cravings get satisfied. Have a great day!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:29 am

Windows Live Writer is an awesome idea — thank you so much for suggesting that! I’d never thought of it before, but after reading this I checked it out and am totally sold on it. Thanks again! :)

8. Tiff May 15, 2013 / 9:47 am

Oooo, now I want cherries! Those are always such a treat.

I’ve recently gotten into Fitness Blender workouts. I’ll have to try that standing abs one!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:28 am

So true — I get really excited when I see cherries at the grocery store! :)

Also, Fitness Blender is fantastic. I’m so glad I discovered them!

9. Alex @ therunwithin May 15, 2013 / 10:56 am

gosh I need some summer fruit in my life! I have to say that I am still quite terrified of using my crock pot. very terrified. I always worry my apartment will light on fire or that things will overcook. one day I will try it, I swear.

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:26 am

I hear you — I used to be terrified of Crock Pot fires as well! I eventually realized that they’re designed to ensure that such things don’t happen, and I started to trust it a little more. :)

10. livliveslife May 15, 2013 / 1:05 pm

Aw, bummer about the chicken recipe! I actually made a weight watchers veggie soup last night that was just dreadful, so that was kind of disappointing. I definitely indulge a bit more on Friday nights/weekends just because we usually eat out on those days. And I do tend to mix up my breakfasts a bit more on weekends, simply because I have more time to!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:23 am

So, I found that a lot of the WW recipes were, in fact, dreadful. Brandon got to the point where he couldn’t eat a lot of them because they were so gross. A good portion of them just shouldn’t be published, if you ask me!

• livliveslife May 16, 2013 / 10:27 am

Really? I think you’re on to something there. I’ve only tried a couple, but in general, I’m not a fan either!

11. Meredith May 15, 2013 / 6:49 pm

I love that stability ball! Anything pink is great in my book :) I think Friday’s scream for a little over-indulgence at dinner. I know I always crave pizza/champagne/fro-yo and chocolate, so you are not alone! On the weekends, I try to eat something other than oatmeal or cereal, because I just get tired of it!
    I have my fingers crossed for you that the beef carnitas come out well, they sound delicious!

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:23 am

YES to Fridays screaming for some over-indulgence at dinner — I totally agree! I feel like we’ve all earned it after a long week, amirite? ;)

12. Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 16, 2013 / 4:07 am

OH YES, I always indulge on Friday nights and weekends. Heck, I “indulge” every day, but I tend to take it further at the end of the week. You gotta celebrate surviving another five crazy days some way, right? ;) Pizza and wine is always a good choice–especially when it’s wine drunk out of a regular glass. Amen to convenience. Or even better–a Sophia champagne can with a sippy straw. Have you tried them? The champagne is surprisingly wonderful. :)

Bummer about the chicken, but the beef carnitas from Eat, Live, Run look wonderful. I love her recipes, so I’ll be curious to hear how it turned out! As far as the Thai coleslaw goes…one word: brilliant. Why have I never used Thai peanut sauce on greens?

Hope you’re having a great week, Lillian! <3 xoxo

• Lillian @ Seize the Latte May 16, 2013 / 8:21 am

Holy cow, I didn’t know that champagne with a sippy straw existed — that’s freakin’ brilliant! I’m a huge fan of boxed wine (Franzia is my jam), so this idea is awesome. :)

As for the Thai cole slaw, I imitated it from a dish I used to get at Cafe Asia! Once I found some GF peanut sauce (San-J and Annie Chung are the two brands that make it), I became a happy camper. :)

Hope you’re having a great week as well! <3